Everyone is aware of the tragedy that occurred in Paris over the weekend. Many of us here in the states are confident that we might fare better because we are an armed citizenry and many of us carry firearms on a regular basis.
But what do you do in the critical moments between when the shooting has stopped and before the paramedics arrive?
The Shooter Self Care Class hosted by Among The Leaves covers just these topics. Our expert instructors will cover topics such as how to identify trauma injuries and how to use the contents of a trauma kit or “blow out kit” to help save the life of those injured after an attack, whether that person is an innocent bystander, family or a loved one, or even yourself.
Our next class will be held on January the 8th, so it’s the perfect holiday gift for those you care about.
Additionally, the first 15 students will receive a free blowout kit with the cost of their tuition.
In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.
We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.
Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.
Kelly Grayson will be hosting a Shooter Self Care Class here in Fort Worth, Texas. Whether you are a Range Officer, carry a concealed firearm, law enforcement, or just a firearms enthusiast, you will learn quite a bit from this course. Injuries from firearms whether intentional or accidental, self-inflicted or the result of an attack, must be dealt with promptly. During this course you will receive basic instruction on what to do and how to use a basic life-saving kit to provide basic life-saving measures until help arrives.
In addition to expert instruction from a medical professional, students will also receive a compact “blow-out kit” valued at over $90 consisting of the following:
2 pairs nitrile gloves
1 trauma shears
1 4″ Ace wrap
1 Cederroth Blood Stopper
10 4×4 gauze pads
1 8×10 absorbent gauze pad
1 Vaseline gauze
1 4″ roll of Kling roller gauze
2 triangular bandages
2 HALO chest seals
1 SOF Tournequit
Food and refreshments will also be provided.
There are no prerequisites for this course and onsite registration will be available.
Course instructor Steven “Kelly” Grayson, EMS Instructor, NRP, CCEMT-P, is a critical care paramedic for Acadian Ambulance in Louisiana. He has spent the past 22 years as a field paramedic, critical care transport paramedic, field supervisor and educator. He is a former president of the Louisiana EMS Instructor Society and board member of the Louisiana Association of Nationally Registered EMTs.
Tuition for the course is $200 and includes a blowout kit for the first 15 students. The course is 4-hours long and will be held on Friday October 30th at Elk Castle Shooting Sports beginning at 5pm.
There’s a saying in sports car racing. How fast you go depends on how much you want to spend. The same can be said about firearms. If you want something incredibly fast, or incredibly accurate, you can expect to make a large outlay of cash. Many of us, probably most of us, have limited budgets. In that case, what you really want is the most bang for your buck. You want to stretch your dollar as far as it will go.
The purpose of this project was to assemble a package capable of shooting a sub-MOA group at 1,000 yards and get the entire thing done for less than $1,000. This isn’t a new concept. Many others have tried this same goal, and many have failed as well. It’s not necessarily the shooter. Sometimes is equipment, sometimes it’s ammunition, maybe it’s wind, maybe the stars just weren’t lined up right.
Launching a 140 grain projectile with an accuracy of less than 1-MOA over a distance of 1,000 yards is no easy feat. Among accomplished shooters there are only a very few capable of accomplishing such a feat. Any time you’re shooting at distances like this luck is always involved. As a long range shooter my job is to reduce or eliminate variables as much as possible in order to have a good shot. Even with a very accurate wind call and extremely consistent match grade ammunition the rifle/scope combo that we ended up assembling and testing mathematically has only a 70% hit probability at 1,000 yards. That means that on a 1-MOA target we’d miss about 30% of the time due to errors in wind reading or variations in muzzle velocity, among other things.
Read More »
This is part of the reason why it’s SO incredibly important to stay in shape. Even walking 1-2 miles a day does wonders for your body. Up that to a short 3-mile run 5-days a week and you’ll be far ahead of all the other desk jockeys whose life consists of sitting on the couch at home when they are not parked at a desk at work.If faced with a situation where you have to evacuate an area on foot, even assuming that you aren’t carrying a pack or bug out bag, the physical toll can be dramatic if you are not in shape. This becomes even more pertinent when trekking cross-country through rough terrain or thick foliage.
The long and the short of it is that if you are preparing by stocking up on certain supplies and NOT preparing your body at the same time, you are doing yourself a disservice. All the gear in the world cannot save you if you are not capable of walking a few miles without collapsing to the ground like a beached manatee. Prepare your body with the same vigilance you prepare your supplies. Best of all: preparing your body by staying in shape is FREE!
An Extra Gallon of Water.
That’s what you’d have to carry or source over 3 days for this product. While that may not be an issue if you’re hunkering down in place during an emergency, if basic services in your community go down due to natural or other disaster it will be a problem. Also, these do require pots and a cooking stove or cooking fire to prepare so pack your bug out bag accordingly. Carrying an extra 8 lbs of water as well as pots in a bug out on foot situation will require some thought and planning. Also, these pouches will be providing 1200 (approx.) calories a day which is enough to keep you functioning but will be nowhere near meeting the average daily calorie expenditure.
We tried to prepare these several different ways ranging from strictly according to the package directions to an “emergency minimalist method” by just pouring boiling water into the pouch they came in. By the way, the “in-pouch” method was an utter disaster. Preparation was otherwise easy, if not more complex than we’d like, so no problems there.
Taste was good. Compared to other camping rations they hold up well in that regard. For this reviewer, they don’t require any extra seasoning or salt, but YMMV. The other member of our test team felt they could use more salt.
These pouches would be perfect for sailing or a camping situation where you can supplement them other foods, and where water is available if not abundant. They’d also be great for storage at your bug out location where water isn’t an issue.
The primary advantage of the Patriot Pantry is that it is light weight and compact due to being stored in a vacuum-sealed pouch. Whether you are storing them on a boat, in a cabin, or in a vehicle, this makes them very advantageous.
So, for taste, they rate a 3 to 4 out of 5 stars. For ease of preparation, a solid 4, and for bugging out emergency use, only 2 stars due to the need to have extra water and equipment for preparation and the low calorie total of each pouch.
For you TL;DR crowd. These are great for any situation where sourcing drinking or cooking water isn’t an issue. But be sure you have a reliable source for water.
While we do stock some freeze-dried and dehydrated items here at Among The Leaves, we will caution that if you rely on them you really need to ensure that water will be available when you need them.
Kilted to Kick Cancer encourages men to wear kilts throughout the month of September to promote awareness and prompt conversations encouraging other men to GET CHECKED!
Among The Leaves is helping to promote by donating one of our 72-hour Bug Out Bags, valued at over $400, as part of one of the prize packages being given away to the top fund raisers over at Kelly’s Blog, the Ambulance Driver Files.